Pros of lowering the age
- 18 is the age of adulthood in the United States, and adults should have the right to make their own decisions about alcohol consumption. With turning 18 comes many responsibilities. You are allowed to vote, smoke cigarettes, get married, serve on a jury, be prosecuted as adults, and even risk your life by joining the military, yet you cant drink a beer with some friends...
- If we allowed 18 to 20 year olds to drink in regulated environments with supervision, it would decrease unsafe drinking activity. By not allowing this, it causes teens to drink in unsupervised places where they may be more prone to binge drink.
- Traffic accidents and fatalities are most common among newly-legal drinkers. We place teens behind the wheel before they learn how to consume alcohol responsibly, and I believe this SHOUTS that there will be trouble to come when they finally hit the age of 21. There are fewer accounts of drunk driving accidents in other countries with a drinking age of 18.
- Prohibiting drinking until the age of 21 is highly ineffective, because many teens continue to consume alcohol. Surveys were done, and 72% of twelfth graders said they had drank at at least one point in their lives. Another benefit of lowering the age, would be a more prosperous economy. More people could legally drink, and revenue would increase for private business owners and greater amounts of tax revenue would be collected by the government.
- Lowering the age to 21 would not only be morally irresponsible, but medically as well. Alcohol consumption often interferes with the development of youth's brains. This creates a potential hazard for problems to spring up later down the road, such as more risk-taking behavior, memory loss, depression, violence, etc.
- Prohibiting alcohol consumption until the age of 21 is proven to reduce the number of underage drinkers. Another positive note to take from this is the trend that youth who do not drink until they are 21 tend to drink less as adults.
- Drinking poses many dangers, and because of this it should have a higher age of initiation. Although many rights are granted at the age of 18, there are still many that aren't until later down the road. You cannot legally purchase a handgun or adopt a kid until the age of 21. You cannot rent a car until the age of 25 either.
- Americans as a whole support this law. Numerous surveys and polls have been taken throughout the years, and the majority of the American public are in favor of keeping the drinking age the same.